Walking The Via Francigena: A Day in Reims

This “Walking The Via Francigena” series of posts follow us, David and Gail, as we continue our walk along the Via Francigena pilgrimage route between Canterbury and Rome. In the fall of 2019, we completed the first leg from London to Canterbury, known as the Chaucer Way, and onward to the small town of Tergnier, France on the Via Francigena. A pandemic got in the way but now, in 2022, our trek is underway once again, this time taking us from Tergnier to Besançon over 23 walking days and 580 or so kilometres.

Today is a non-walking day, what through-hikers would call a zero day, a day to relax and wash clothes. For Gail and me, a zero day is an opportunity to explore an interesting place.

Today, that place is Reims. It’s late and I need to pack for tomorrow’s trek, but here’s an idea of the what Reims has to offer.

Read on to view the day’s photos and soundscape.

Today’s Soundscape: Entering Notre-Dame de Reims Cathedral to a cacophony of restoration work, music, and clock chimes.
While looking at the photos below, you can listen to this binaural (hyper-realistic stereo) sound recording. For best results, use headphones or earbuds for a full binaural sound experience.

Click the images below to view a full-screen slideshow.

10 thoughts on “Walking The Via Francigena: A Day in Reims

1. SaviSoul September 15, 2022 / 2:53 pm

Wonderful photos! Reims looks beautiful! Are you considering posting some in colour, David? Love the different sized bottles of champagne. Continuing to live vicariously…

• David Firman September 18, 2022 / 6:58 am

Thanks Sara. I’m committed to monochrome for this trip. It’s taking me back to my pre-digital black and white days and I’m enjoying the challenge of seeing in grey tones. I’m afraid the stained glass windows suffer as a result.

2. cathy September 15, 2022 / 12:20 pm

Looks like a wonderful day!! Enjoy

3. Neil September 15, 2022 / 2:19 am

Wow, did not know about the Art Deco library in Rheims!

• David Firman September 18, 2022 / 6:53 am

It’s tucked in behind the cathedral. Very nice interior.

4. Gloria Romaniuk September 14, 2022 / 11:30 pm

Adorable little voice! Is Reims a green city, in the sense that there is electric public transport, few cars allowed on (some of) the streets? I definitely do not like gargoyles! What about you?! And I agree with Gail – hammocks are fantastic!! Fun!!

Gloria

• David Firman September 17, 2022 / 1:31 am

Hi Gloria. I’m not sure about Reim’s green status. The light rail is electric but it looked like the buses were still diesel powered. A very nice, walkable city regardless. Yes, Gail did enjoy her hammock-in-the-park!

5. Rob Duncan September 14, 2022 / 7:27 pm

Merci beaucoup for a lovely visit to Reims, France. With the SoundScape, I felt that I was in the cavernous Cathedral. It seems that Gail was enjoying some very large fresh oysters.

A la prochaine, Rob

• David Firman September 17, 2022 / 1:27 am

Thanks Rob. The oysters were our combined appetizers with much more food to follow!